Broad Ripple History
search menu
Pictures, Stories, Maps, and more
Brought to you by Broad Ripple Publishing

Street Name Changes and house address changes


In creating this website of Broad Ripple history we discovered that there have been numerous street name changes and house renumberings over the years.

We did a considerable amount of research using old maps of Broad Ripple and City Directories to try to reconstruct the 1922 street names and addresses.

This website is as close to accurate as we could get. We recognize that there are some inconsistencies that we could not explain.

This is an attempt to document some of the changes we discovered. Below are a list of changes discovered.


LISTING FROM OLD NAMES (and various bits of research)
59th Street is now 60th Street. Many numbered street were raised by one, like 59th became 60th, as areas were annexed by the City of Indianapolis in the 1910s through the 1930s

62nd Street is now Broad Ripple Avenue from Broad Ripple Park to Evanston

63rd Street is now Broad Ripple Avenue from College to Broad Ripple Park

65th Street west of College is now 66th Street (1931). This was caused by the renumbering of the College addresses from 65xx to 66xx.

Ashland is now Carrollton Avenue.

Bellefontaine is now Guilford south of Main and Cornell north of Main. The residents pronounced this street Bellfountain (Bell Fountain as in water fountain).

• The 6300 block of Bellefontaine has been renumbered in such a way that we were unable to determine the 1922 numbering even with the period city directory listing.

Coil has been in three places over the years.

• The houses on the east side of College around 64rd street were not on College, but on a kind of an alley to the east. This may have been due to the Interurban that ran up College. About three of the old houses are still there behind some businesses on College.

• What was Cornell north of Broad Ripple Ave in 1922 (and once Jefferson) is now Westfield Boulevard heading north.

Cornell south of Broad Ripple Ave is now Winthrop.

Day is now 63rd Place.

Hancock is now Westfield.

Jackson was Carrollton Avenue north of canal (According to plat map).

Light is now Coil.

Main Street (north of canal) is original and retains the name (According to plat map).

Morgan is now Guilford

North is now 64th

Pursel Street (According to plat map) became 66th Street.

Rivera (or Riviera) is now Westfield Boulevard. This last little piece of it existed east of Winthrop in the parking lot of NetHeads and McDonalds, heading back to Applebee's.

Westfield Road is now Westfield Boulevard. This road went north to the White River.

• Many addresses are simply gone. This is not due to razing but due to renumbering. For example, looking for 5424 but the only built houses are numbered 5422 then 5428.


LISTING FROM CURRENT NAMES
E. 63rd Place
- was Short Street (from Jackson Dawson's Broad Ripple Addition plat map)
- on 1927 map was Day St

E. 64th Street
- was North Street (from Jackson Dawson's Broad Ripple Addition plat map)
- above BR Park, on 1927 map was Stanton St.

E. 64th Street South (above BR Park)
- on 1927 map was 64th St.

Broad Ripple Avenue
- was 63rd Street (until 1947) (and was 62nd from BR Park to Evanston)
- was Shelby Street

Carrollton Avenue
- was Ashland
- was Jackson Street north of canal (from Jackson Dawson's Broad Ripple Addition plat map)

Coil St
- on 1927 map was Light St

Cornell Avenue
- was Air Line Street north of canal (from Jackson Dawson's Broad Ripple Addition plat map)

Evanston Avenue
- on 1927 map was Valleyview Dr north of BR Ave.

Ferguson Street
- was Vine Street(from Jackson Dawson's Broad Ripple Addition plat map)

Guilford Avenue
- was Bellefontaine
- was Cherry Street north of canal (from Jackson Dawson's Broad Ripple Addition plat map) and Morgan Street south.

Kingsley Drive
- on 1927 map was Buckingham Ave north of Kessler.

Paxton Place
- on 1927 map was Thompson St

Westfield Boulevard
- was Riviera
- was Hancock
- on 1927 map was Rangeline Road north of White River (also called Ind SR 1 and Ind US 31)

Winthrop Avenue
- was Hamilton (south of BR Ave)
- on 1927 map was Cornell south of BR Ave (stopped at 61st), Jefferson north of BR Ave to river